Tomato Rice is a favorite dish in the Tamil Nadu state of South India, and it’s simple, quick, and delicious. This one-pot marvel, also known as Thakkali Sadam in Tamil, is tasty, healthful, and ideal for packing in a tiffin for lunch on the road. While this tomato rice is a little spicy, the spice may easily be adjusted to your preference. Serve it simple or with boondi raita and crispy papad. It’s a deliciously substantial and light meal.
For anybody who like flavorful, tangy one-pot dinners, this tomato rice recipe is a must-try. The flavor combination of tomato and rice is exquisite, and it’s simple to prepare at home. Tomato rice is a classic South Indian rice meal that can be simply created with leftover rice, tomatoes, and a variety of spices. This tomato rice recipe is simple to make in a pressure cooker or an instant pot. You can play around with the flavors and ingredients in the recipe to create your own tomato rice.
If you have unexpected visitors that enjoy South Indian cuisine, this main dish recipe is a great choice. You can also add items to your taste to make it more scrumptious. If you like spices, dry roast the whole spices, ground them to perfection, and then add the powder to the dish to improve the flavor.
If you enjoy the combination of spicy and slightly tangy flavors, this is the recipe for you! If you’re concerned about your health and want to prevent high cholesterol, you can alter the recipe by substituting olive oil for the standard refined oil. As a result, this meal will be a more healthier alternative to enjoy! The best part about this delicacy is that you can make it your own by modifying the traditional South Indian recipe.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 medium onion
- 2 teaspoon sambhar powder
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon refined oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 4 large tomato
- 3 medium green chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt as required
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 pinches red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 7 curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2 red chilli
How to make Tomato rice:
- Step 1: Boil and soak the rice: Wash and drain the basmati rice and soak for about 20 minutes. Take a deep pan, put it on medium flame and pour water into it. Bring it to a boil, and then add the soaked rice. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium flame till the rice becomes soft, but not mushy. Now remove from fire and keep it aside.
- Step 2: Prepare tomato puree and saute onion and spices: Now put the chopped tomatoes in a blender and blend them properly. Transfer the puree to a bowl and keep it aside. Now heat 2 tbsps of oil in a pan and add the ingredients for seasoning (mustard, asafoetida, curry leaves, dried red chillies). Add onions and saute till they turn slightly pinkish in hue. Then add green chillies and ginger-garlic paste. Saute these ingredients for a minute.
- Step 3: Add tomato puree to the sauteed onions and cook, add rice: Now, add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sambar powder and salt as required. Cook until the oil separates. Add the cooked rice to the tomato gravy and mix well. Once done, transfer the tomato rice to a serving bowl and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with papads, potato chips or raita.
- Step 4: Tips for making delicious Tomato Rice: 1. This dish is generally spicy in flavour. To make it less spicy, add less ginger and chillies. 2. Tomato rice tastes best when served with a well seasoned Boondi Raita. 3. Stirring the rice in the tomato mix before adding the water enhances the taste of the dish.
- You can dry roast the whole spices, grind them and add the powder to enhance the taste of this dish.
- You can also use coconut oil to prepare tomato rice.
- Consider making tomato puree at home with fresh tomatoes for best taste
People who love to eat must try thus recipe, Order ingredients via ebounti.com