This multigrain khichdi is packed with beneficial fibre, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. It’s a natural immune booster and the perfect recipe for natural remedies! One can always enjoy a substantial bowl of this rice and lentil bliss, whether healthy or not.
Khichdi is the Hindi word for a rice and lentil casserole meal from India. Traditionally, khichdi was a light-digestion meal prepared for sick and/or recuperating people, as it provides the necessary nutrition for the body to build immunity and combat sickness. That’s when a simple dish using only one type of dal and rice comes in handy.
But it’s been a long time since this simple lentils and rice meal became a restaurant favorite. Dal-khichdi is seen on the menus of many traditional and healthy restaurants. When it comes to tailoring this simple one-pot dinner to individual tastes and preferences, the sky is the limit.
You can use a single grain, such as white or brown rice, or a combination of grains, such as brown rice, daliya, quinoa, or bulgur. You can use a single lentil or a combination of lentils, depending on your preference.
Add a variety of your favorite vegetables as well as seeds to boost your nutrition. For example, We have used moong dal sprouts and roasted flaxseed powder in this khichdi recipe. As a garnish, whole flax seeds can be used. You can prepare many variations of this multigrain khichdi depending on mood and what is there in the cupboard.
- ½ cup white sela rice
- ¼ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup arhar daal tuvar/ split pigeon pea lentils
- ¼ cup split black urad daal black gram split lentil
- 1 onion cut into strips
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 green chillies slit
- ½ cup moong dal sprouts (green gram sprouts)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and red pepper powder to taste
- 1 tsp roasted flaxseed powder
- 2 tbsp oil
Method to prepare:
- Wash and soak all the rice and lentils in double the amount of water for at least 30 minutes. Brown rice and black gram lentils takes longer to cook so it is better to soak them in hot water.
- Heat oil in a deep stock pot. Add cumin seeds. When the seeds start to crackle, add garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes till the garlic starts to turn brown.
- Next add onion, green chillies, turmeric, asafoetida and salt. Mix well and let the onions sweat for about a couple of minutes.
- Drain the soaked rice and lentils and add to the pot. Mix well. Now add 4 cups of water and cook covered till there is a boil.
- Add moong dal sprouts, flaxseed powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook covered for 10 minutes or till the rice and lentils are cooked through. Check for water in between and add more if required.
- To serve, garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve with a pickle of your choice and a plain raita (yogurt spiced with cumin powder, salt and paprika)
Life tastes like, A plate full of Khichdi. You may not like what is in your plate, but you have to eat it anyways. Visit ebounti groceries to find the best ingredients, at least we can help you with the grocery shopping!